Thursday, May 9, 2013

Legalising the Hemp plant?

Last year whilst visiting a friend in the Cape Town CBD I bumped into the Cape Town Global Cannabis March. Then and there, amongst the cars hooting, joints being passed left right and center, smiles and laughter all around- I promised myself that I would participate in 2013 activities.

However, I had a compulsory training on Saturday, the same day that the annual cannabis protest rolled through the streets of Cape Town.

I, like most people, grow up with a misunderstanding of the hemp plant and was only told of the damage that it does to users and their family loves.

However after a couple of my close relatives and friends turn to the rastafarian religion I decided to do my own research on the heb. I came across 'The Hemp Handbook' that outline many of the uses of the plant today.

Cannabis hemp used for medicine, food, fuel, paper, rope, maps, bricks, oil, paint, furniture and much more snd is the most versatile, efficacious plant on earth according to many.

 
The'hemp house'  is a project to showcase industrial hemp and its
potential as an eco-construction material. The house, recently completed in Noordhoek, Cape Town, uses hempcrete, hemp insulation, and hemp particle board. The hemp aspect of the building, which accounts for up to 50% of the walls, was grown in 4-5 months without the need for agro-chemicals, and results in a breathable, natural, sustainable and carbon-friendly building.

So why not legalise the plant to build eco-friendly houses in South Africa?


1 comment:

  1. Hi, i think that i saw you visited my site so i came to ?
    return the favor?.I am trying to find things to improve my website!

    I suppose its ok to use a few of your ideas!!

    Visit my weblog :: weblink

    ReplyDelete